Gardin is a UK based VC funded early-stage startup with a clear vision - to create a real-world operating system that will power the future of farming by helping food producers deliver superior yields, nutrition and quality. Our state-of-the-art optical remote sensing technology, computer vision and analytics allows food producers to measure plant physiology and proactively adjust parameters for optimised operations. Effectively, bringing laboratory-grade phenotyping into real-world food production.
We are a straight talking, fun loving, multidisciplinary team with expertise in optical engineering, computer vision, plant physiology, embedded software, and machine learning. We partner with some of the leading UK centres for plant physiology phenotyping such as The Phenotyping research Institute, NIAB and the James Hutton Institute. We are now looking for an expert data scientist to join our team.
Our success will be measured by increased food production, higher nutritional content foods and reductions in food waste & utilisation of natural resources.
We are continuing to build our core team and are now looking for a Senior Data Scientist to lead the development and deployment of our analytics suite working closely with the founding team. This person will be responsible for implementing statistical & machine learning models and tools as well as deep analysis to drive insight out of our data and find patterns that will help improve our products. She/he will be liaising day today with the internal physics, engineering, computer vision and plant science teams and will be expected to lead the deployment of our analytics suite and grow our internal data science team.
- Work closely with the team and research partners to identify key traits and trends within crops of interest such as basil, tomatoes and berries - by applying machine learning techniques, doing statistical analysis, and building high-quality predictive models integrated with our sensing system
- Research and develop innovative approaches and algorithms to extract insights from our data
- Present information using data visualization techniques
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions
- Technical lead author for grant submissions
- Contribute to IP filings
- Proven experience as a Data Scientist
- Master’s or PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field
- Experienced with using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SLQ, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets
- Experienced with a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks
- Experienced with advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications
- Knowledge of distributed data/computing tools: Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Gurobi, MySQL, etc
- Background in applied physics or engineering (optics, sensors)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strongly motivated to translate science into practical solutions
- A sense of humour
Good to have
- Prior experience with similar data sets in plant phenotyping
- First-hand experience of developing and deploying similar solutions in AWS/Azure etc
- Very keen to work in a start-up
What can we offer: an excellent package salary + pension + private health
- Remote working – our team is currently based around Bath, Oxford and London
- Share Options in the company
- Leadership opportunities
- To be part of something meaningful